Before I go into my DIY project, I wanted to say that even though yesterday was a total running fail, today was a total running WIN! I ran five miles and EVERY mile was sub-10 minutes! My last mile was actually 9:05. I used to be able to run faster than that but it’s been a long time. I usually run at around a 10:30-ish pace (give or take). Today I felt unstoppable!
Anyway, back to the real reason for this post: DIY song lyric wall art. I found out a couple of days ago that a dear friend’s mother passed away in January. I decided I wanted I do something nice for her so I did some googling and found a tutorial on song lyric wall art here.
I knew I wanted to do a piece of wall art involving song lyrics but I didn’t want to do a paint-by-number like the tutorial said. I decided to do a fabric collage under the paint instead.
So here’s what I used:
4 fabric quarters
A rotary cutter and mat
A 12 x 12 canvas
Scrapbooking letter stickers
First I cut the fabric in long skinny triangles with the rotary cutter (this does not have to be exact – you will just be piecing them together on the canvas). Then I laid them out on the canvas until it was completely covered, making sure there was enough to wrap around the edge. Then I started gluing them on with modge podge (isn’t that stuff made of magic or something?!). After all the fabric strips were glued down, I brushed another layer of modge podge on top to seal it. Then I let it dry. Here’s what it looked like at this point:
After that, I laid out my letter stickers. I’d recommend cutting them out before you unstick them so that you can set them up the way you’d like. My friend really loves singer/songwriter Angie Aparo so I chose a lyric from his song Shine On.
Then, using a ruler as my guide for relatively straight lines, I stuck the letters on my collage. Once I got them in there to my liking (check your spelling!!!), I turned the canvas over and pressed down on it to make sure the letter were sticking well. JW spray painted it and then we took the letter stickers off. As it turns out, I had used one lighter colored fabric in the collage and we used silver spray paint so when we took the stickers off, the letter that had been on the light fabric didn’t show up well. Lesson learned. So JW took a fine-tipped black Sharpie and carefully outlined each letter. And here’s the finished product:
I really like how it turned out although there are a couple of things I’d probably do differently next time:
1. Use either all light-colored fabric with a dark colored paint or vise versa. That way all of the letters will be very visible.
2. Choose a shorter lyric. That way larger letters could be used and more of the fabric collage underneath would show.
But like I said, I’m really happy with how it turned out and I really hope my friend likes it. I’ll mail it to her tomorrow.